Thursday, March 11, 2010

"Double Awesomeness"

So let me start by saying, one of the coolest things happened when i did a but of research into Barbara Stanwyck. but more about that later.

I really liked Double Indemnity. I liked the transitional shots, as well as the development and establishment of story and character; i felt that the characters stayed true to themselves as well as the story. For example, someone in class pointed out that Phyllis is a bit squeamish when it came to killing. I very much agree.

My favorite character in the film has to be Walter. I really resonated with his character because he was always thinking but at the same time he knew he had to "keep it cool" and not get caught. He almost sounds like a crazy man, though he did KILL a man, with the way that he narratively explained what he did to the recorder. He had that look of deep thought on his face. To be honest, I find myself making that face every now and then.

So, the best part is seeing Barbara Stanwyck work her magic yet again in a film, as a femme fatale no less; it was very rewarding. Yet, it gets better.

So, in my Sociology 372 class last semester, I got to watch A Star Is Born, featuring Janet Gaynor and Fredric March, directed by William A. Wellman, a film about a young woman who changes her name and becomes a star. She falls in love with another actor yet her stardom goes beyond that of his and their relationship suffers. A Star Is Born is my favorite "Classic Hollywood" film.

After looking back at some old essays, and then researching Barbara Stanwyck, I realized that part of my essay last semester mentioned that people believe that the A Star Is Born film is based on Barbara Stanwyck's life.

So then I was like, "...Wait. 'Barbara Stanwyck' is not her real name?" It turns out, her real name is Ruby Katherine Stevens. who knew?

She's definitely one of my favorite actors, I've also watched The Lady Eve and Lady of Burlesque.


This really is a great surprise.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Phyllis's character was a bit squeamish when it came to the actual killing of her victim/husband, but this is something I doubt I would have noticed on my own. I thought it was really interesting how she would say she was willing to do anything it took to be with Walter and get what she wanted. But when it came to the actual dirty work, she just wouldn't do it. She always had some way of convincing someone else to do it. Oh those femme fatales. Sneaky, sneaky...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara Stanwyck is great in all those films, Royce. The ability to underplay a role and, as film actors said back then, "let the camera catch you thinking," make her seem more modern than some of her contemporaries (like Norma Shearer).

    ReplyDelete