Thursday, February 18, 2010

What's up with these people?

Gold Diggers of 1933 was by far the least of my favorites. I'm glad that we got to experience a "musical" yet at the same time i feel that the musical portion is what also hindered it.

What I felt most about what I didn't like about it was that there was a strong lack of character development and character depth. I feel like it would have been better to focus on two or three stories rather than try to give glimpses of 7 characters. I'm not sure exactly how people in the past perceived the story and characters, yet i personally feel that it could've been better.

I felt like everything was rushed. I don't think it needed, per se, a "wholesome" ending if it meant spending more time getting to know the main characters. I felt, for example, that Brad was a flat character, even though his situation, him hiding his blue blood family ties, gave his character some complexity. I was always expecting more from his character, and i got disappointed when i didn't get it.

I did though respect Carol, more so than Polly, who I thought the film was going to focus. I kept asking why Polly wasn't around and I kept asking why the film seemed to revolve around her at the beginning but then doesn't.

I was actually really disappointed with this film but I hope it gets better.

2 comments:

  1. I definately agree with you that the film was to spread out in trying to focus on several characters rather than just a couple of them. I wasn't sure what the story was supposed to be focused on and actually started to get lost between all of the intertwining stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The film is a bit scattered in the ways you mention, Royce. Part of the focus on Polly initially may have been that 42nd Street had turned into such a hit, and the actress (Ruby Keeler) had been a big part of that.

    ReplyDelete